Vision & Mission
To Believe. To Think. To Achieve
As an independent Christian Community College, we journey towards this vision by delivering high quality teaching and learning through curricula that consistently challenges our students:
- To grow in Unity in Christ
- To act with compassion, integrity, respect and responsibility.
- To be conscious of the needs of others.
- To be confident to challenge and respond to injustice.
- To have active, curious, creative and questioning minds.
- To develop a passion for learning.
- To understand their role in a diverse, global society.
- To be informed decision makers.
- To build strong positive relationships.
- To be resilient and confident young people.
- To strive to achieve personal excellence in all their endeavours.
- To develop their strengths by providing them with the tools necessary to do so.
- We believe that the partnership that exists between the parents, students, teachers and community is central in realising this vision.
Bayview College supports and actively promotes the principles and practices of Australian democracy and is committed to:
- The elected government of the day
- The rule of law, according to the constitution of Australia
- Equal rights for all citizens before the law
- Freedom of religion and practices within the Vision and Mission of the College, the College Constitution and the policies on Behaviour and Discipline
- Freedom of speech and association, according to the Australian constitution, within the framework of our commitment to Compassion, Integrity, Respect and Responsibility
- Values of openness and tolerance and respect for the right of individuals to grow, mature and learn within all of the above
Mother Gonzaga Barry planned a Loreto foundation in Portland after spending time by the sea convalescing from an illness in around 1882. She was very keen to be able to provide holidays for her nuns and pupils and also a boarding and day school for young children.
Mother Gonzaga and a community of five came to Portland in December 1884 and rented the six room cottage with lean-to belonging to David Edgar in North Bentinck Street. This bluestone cottage had been built by Stephen Henty in the early 1830s and from 1864-1865 had been Mary Mackillop’s family home and school. The house was prepared for the opening of the school on the 2nd February 1885. Mother Boniface Volcker, first Superior, brought the two Misses McManamny and Miss Mary McPhee, the first boarders. On 12th March 1885 the first Mass was offered in the little Convent Chapel by Fr. O’Donoghue.
In 1885 a new wing was built to provide a schoolroom, refectory and dormitory for the growing school. In 1894 the cottage was purchased for £450 and the cottage next door was rented and later purchased in 1903 to become the boys’ college, St. Aloysius, in 1905. A new building with dormitory and schoolroom with bay windows was erected in 1900. A large doll’s house was placed in the bay window overlooking the sea.
In 1903 the wing with the spire was added in front of the old Bayview Cottage. This building had improved accommodation for the nuns and extended chapel.
Sea bathing was an important activity of the early pupils and a route to beach was made to “Nun’s Beach” through “White Gates” for which the convent had the keys and a Bathing Box was constantly rebuilt as the waves continually claimed it. Walks and picnics to “Gove” or Government Paddock were also memorable with boiling the billy and toasting jam sandwiches.
In 1977 Loreto College became an ecumenical, co-educational college. The Christian Community College became known as Bayview in 1996. Soon after, the College became one of the 4 foundation members of the Victorian Ecumenical System of Schools (VESS) and remained a member of this group until the end of 2013.
(Finn, M. Angela “Memoirs” Jones, M. Brigid “Not Counting the Cost, A History of Loreto Convent, Portland”)
Bayview would like to thank Robin Scott, Loreto Province Archivist, for the above information.
Loreto Website: www.loreto.org.au
It is my pleasure to welcome you to Bayview College. Our Christian College prides itself on being a place where excellence and opportunity are provided and everyone is connected and engaged in our community.
We are proudly a Christian College focusing on the growth of the individual, enriching his or her faith and values, nourishing the Spirit, developing the intellect and challenging them physically.
The circle which encloses the design has long been used as a Christian symbol. Without beginning or end, it represents God or eternity, and is particularly appropriate to the ecumenical nature of the College.
The anchor-cross is one of the earliest forms of Christian symbolism. The cross representing Christ, is depicted as emanating from the crest, the symbol of Mary. For us, the anchor-cross unites happily our Christian profession and our local background, at the same time linking the College from the school from which it sprang.
The breaking wave may be seen as continuing the nautical theme contained in the anchor. The wave also carries our thoughts towards the future, thus balancing the anchor which brings to mind the best traditions of the past.
Taken together, the circle, anchor-cross and wave represent the totality of God’s handiwork. They depict the creation of heaven and earth and the firmament dividing the waters as recorded in Genesis. The median bar enhances this symbolism.
All design elements are drawn strictly as they have appeared since the earliest days of Christianity, and together they reflect both the interdenominational aspiration of the College and the essence of our faith and hope as Christians.